Friday, April 22, 2016

TJ Inkspirations: Out of this World

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
TJ Inkspirations
Techniques, Tips and Creative Ideas to Inspire your Muse
In This Issue
Friday Chat with Pat

Watercoloring Nightmare?

Did you ever try to get a good image on watercolor paper but it just isn't happening? It can be tough to get a good solid image on 140# Watercolor paper because of the texture of the paper.
No worries!
Simply stamp your image with permanent black ink, then use a black Sharpie to fill in the blanks. It feels a little like cheating, but it turns out so well! Just make sure your piece is fully dry before starting to watercolor. 
The image below looked very pebble-y before I did the Sharpie trick -- now it is solid and perfect!
This piece was colored with Art Anthology Minx Shimmering Inks.
Large Passion Flower Watercolored with MINX
Pre-order before a show

If you are coming to a show that is on my schedule, and you would like me to bring products for you (so you save shipping!) email me atphuntoon@optonline.net

and I will bring and hold it for you. 
No need to pay me before the show (this will allow you to shop in the booth, too). Just let me know which show and which day you are attending. I will hold your items until 2:30 pm the day you are scheduled to come in.  
All  
Holsters
are now in stock...

The Mini MISTIs are in stock...
AND
The Original MISTIs are back in stock again!
Have you ordered yours yet?

 Come see us in
Akron OH and Syracuse NY
Our next stop:
THIS WEEKEND!
Akron OH

Saturday, April 23
10 am to 5 pm
Sunday, April 24rd
10 am to 3 pm
I am teaching two classes in Akron:
The Flourish and Floral Gift Box:
Click HERE for details on joining this class!

and the 
The Floral Minx:

Click HERE for details on joining this class!


Our Next Stop:
Syracure NY

Saturday, May 21
10 am to 5 pm
Sunday, May 22nd
11 am to 4 pm

I am teaching One class in Syracuse:
The Flourish and Floral Gift Box:
Click HERE for details on joining this class!
Come shop, play and make some art - we would love to meet you!
Dear Patricia, 
The technique we are exploring today is one that I covered in the Technique Junkies Newsletter, way back in October 2004 (the original tutorial is HERE). Over the course of 12 years of producing the newsletter, I covered thousands of tutorials. All of the  tutorials may be accessed HERE.

In any case, this just goes to show that good ideas really never go out of style. If you are ever stuck for an idea, browse the tutorials -- you never know what might inspire you.

Today I am featuring the Whimsical World stamp. It is a crazy, whimsy background stamp -- one that is fun to color.  With the current coloring book craze, this image fits right in line!  I couldn't help myself, wither, I had to add the World of my Own stamp from the Alice in Wonderland stamps to top this off. 

Whimsical World
 
Alice in Wonderland Stamp
A Wold of my Own
 
Out of this World
Whimsical World Stamp
Out of the Box Technique



The Whimsical World image was stamped with StazOn ink, then colored with Distress Markers. Very therapeutic coloring!

After coloring the image, place a ruler along the edge of one side of the image, leaving some of the image above the line. Keep in mind that whatever is left above the line will be cut with scissors.
 
Use a fine line black permanent marker draw a line across the edge of the ruler, drawing up to, but not through, the image.

 
Repeat on the other sides of the image, creating a box around the edges of the image, leaving some of the image overhanging the box. 
 
Use scissors to cut along the line up to the overhanging image. Cut the image, then back to the line, then any other images that are beyond the box. Do this on all four sides.
 
Once the piece is cut on all four sides, mount on black paper to highlight the cuts. Note in the finished piece that the black mat was sized to the rectangular box, allowing the images to overhang the box past the mat.
I hope you are a little inkspired by today's issue. See you next week!
 
Sincerely,
 

Pat Huntoon
Technique Junkies LLC 


1 comment:

Beth Norman said...

This is one of my favourite stamps (along with Flourished Floral). You did an excellent job with this technique which I will try now that you reminded me of it. Can you believe I've never done it before? Lovely job with your colouring.